Case Study 1.1 MegaTech, Inc.
MegaTech, Inc. is designed to highlight some of the reasons why an organization that had operated in a relatively stable and predictable environment would seek to move to an emphasis on project-based work. The trigger event, in this case is the advent of the NAFTA treaty, which opened up competition on a more price-competitive basis.
- What is it about project management that offers MegaTech a competitive advantage in its industry?
- What elements of the marketplace in which MegaTech operates led the firm to believe that project management would improve its operations?
Activity I: You are a member of the senior management staff at XYZ Corporation. You have historically been using a functional structure set up with five departments: finance, human resources, marketing, production, and engineering.
- Create a drawing of your simplified functional structure, identifying the five departments.
- Assume you have decided to move to a project structure. What might be some of the environmental pressures that would contribute to your belief that it is necessary to alter the structure?
- With the project structure, you have four projects currently ongoing: stereo equipment, instrumentation and testing equipment, optical scanners, and defense communications.
- Draw the new structure that creates these four projects as part of the organizational chart.