Purdue University Northwest
College of Nursing
NUR 394 Health Promotion
Critiquing Health-related information with the HON Code Criteria and Fry Readability Scale
Part I: HON Code Criteria
1. Visit the Hon-Code website: http://www.hon.ch/HONcode/Conduct.html
2. Identify one health related website and list the URL where you found the site
|Name of the site you are evaluating|
|Directions: Indicate yes or no regarding your evaluation of the site in relationship to meeting the identified criteria, and then provide rationale using examples from the site to support your answer.|
|1. Authoritative (2 points)Indicate the qualifications of the authorsExplain:||YES||NO|
|2. Complementarity (2 points)Information should support, not replace, the doctor-patient relationshipExplain:||YES||NO|
|3. Privacy (2 points)Respect the privacy and confidentiality of personal data submitted to the site by the visitorExplain:||YES||NO|
|4. Attribution (2 points)Cite the source(s) of published information, date medical and health pagesExplain:||YES||NO|
|5. Justifiability (2 points)Site must back up claims relating to benefits and performanceExplain:||YES||NO|
|6. Transparency (2 points)Accessible presentation, accurate email contactExplain:||YES||NO|
|7. Financial disclosure (2 points)Identify funding sourcesExplain:||YES||NO|
|8. Advertising policy (2 points)Clearly distinguish advertising from editorial contentExplain:||YES||NO|
|9. Your recommendation of the site. (1 point)Explain:||A. Quality SiteB. Use with CautionC. Do not Use|
Part II: Fry Readability Tool (3 points)
Directions: Randomly select three separate 100-word passages from health related brochure from the American Heart Association, CDC, or another government website meant for patient education.
· Count every word including proper nouns, initializations, and numerals.
· Count the number of sentences in each 100-word sample (estimate to nearest tenth).
· Count the number of syllables in each 100-word sample. (Each numeral is a syllable. For example, 2007 is 5 syllables — two-thou-sand-se-ven – and one word.)
· Plot the average sentence length and the average number of syllables on the graph.
· The area in which it falls is the approximate grade level of readability
|10. What is the name of the brochure? What grade level is the brochure written? (2 points)|
|11. Would you consider the brochure appropriate for patient education? (1 point)|